Saturday, March 6, 2010

Quinoa Soup

I keep reading about quinoa. How it's amazingly nutritious, it's higher in protein than any real grain, and is even a complete protein. I remember my midwife suggesting I eat quinoa more often since I always seemed to lack sufficient protein. I enjoyed reading this blog about quinoa.

I finally gave in. I found a recipe for Quinoa Soup in my Colorado Farmer's Market cookbook. (Love this cookbook.) I altered it a bit for my taste and what was on hand, and it turned out darn good. Here's my version:

1 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 c. diced red onion
1 stalk celery, diced
1 cup cooked blackbeans
1 potato, peeled and chopped
1 carrot, peeled and chopped
1 Tbsp dried parsley
1 clove garlic, minced
6 cups turkey broth
1/2 cup quinoa

Sautee all the veggies and garlic in olive oil for about 5 minutes, till onions are tender.



Add the broth. I used broth made from the bones of some turkey leg quarters I smoked last weekend - fantastic flavor that broth has, I tell ya. Bring to a boil.



Add the quinoa. I know it doesn't look like much, but if you've ever cooked with quinoa, you'll know that it expands. A lot. Half a cup is plenty.

Bring it back to a boil, then cover and simmer about 45 minutes till the quinoa is soft.

Serve with a side of homemade bread or corn bread and some homemade raw butter, and enjoy! Even Littlest One loved this, and she's not the best soup eater.

No comments:

Post a Comment