Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Corn bread muffins

We ate out at Famous Dave's recently, and I was in awe of their delicious cornbread muffins. Seriously delicious, moist and fluffy, didn't even need butter - they were fantastic.

I looked up the recipe and found it. Well, no wonder. Cake mix? What the heck kind of recipe uses a cake mix? Argh. Not an option for our "from scratch" lifestyle. The mayonnaise addition was kind of interested, but we don't usually eat real mayonnaise (we do Vegenaise. Not sure how that would work, totally different make up.)

Nonetheless, I was inspired to try making some corn bread muffins. I knew I wanted honey in them, and buttermilk. I found this recipe and adapted it for us.

My version:
1 C yellow corn meal
1 C finely ground whole wheat flour
1Tbsp baking powder
1/2 C. raw cane sugar
A sprinkling of unrefined sea salt
1 cup buttermilk (leftover from this week's butter making)
2 eggs
1/4 c. melted butter
1/4 c. honey

Mix dry ingredients, make a well in the center, add wet ingredients. Mix, but do not overmix. I let mine sit for about 20 minutes on the counter (this makes corn bread fluffier, I've discovered. Longer would've been better, but we needed to eat.) Bake for 18-20 minutes at 400 degrees. (I used a stoneware muffin pan. The baking time might be lower for metal pans. And I just oiled the pan, I avoid paper muffin cups because I hate disposable products.)

The result? They were pretty good. Not terribly exciting, but not bad by any means. I would've liked more moisture - maybe adding that mayonnaise would've helped, or maybe some applesauce? I'll play with it again when I need cornbread again. Husband said they tasted a lot like Famous Dave's. I'm not sure I agree, but I was glad he liked them.

Served them with Southwestern Chipotle Steaks (from the Colorado Farmer's Market cookbook) and black beans topped with homemade goat cheese.

Breakfast tomorrow - warmed cornbread muffins with homemade butter and maple syrup. The kids will be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment