Friday, February 12, 2010

Stuffed Mushrooms

I think I know more people that don't like mushrooms than any other vegetable I know.

To those people, I offer my condolences.

To the rest of you - have you ever paid eight dollars for an appetizer of stuffed mushrooms? And then the plate comes, and there are about six mushrooms on the plate, and you find yourself sad that you have to share them with everyone else at the table?

I came across this recipe in by Better Homes and Gardens cookbook and altered slightly for taste and health. It's fantastically easy, and you can have two dozen stuffed mushrooms for less than $5.

Stuffed Mushrooms:

24 large mushrooms, stems removed, caps reserved
Chop enough of the stems to equal 1 cup, compost the rest or use them for something else
2/3 c. fine dry bread crumbs (I make my breadcrumbs from leftover bits of homemade bread)
1/2 c. feta cheese (you could use cheddar or blue cheese. We had feta.)
1/4 c. green onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp butter

Saute the mushroom stems, onion and garlic in the butter until soft, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in bread crumbs and cheese until mixture is well blended. Using a 1/4 tsp. measuring spoon, stuff some of the mixture into each mushroom cap. Place stuffed shrooms into a baking dish, bake at 425 for 10 minutes, then serve.

We had these as a side dish to our common meal of salad and baked potato. Definitely worth trying!

1 comment:

  1. ooo Julie!! I love you for this one!!! I needed something that is meat free (its Lent.. I hate Lent. .but don't tell my priest I said that) and will go with crab cakes tonight and not be horrible for me. You rock!!

    ReplyDelete